Wednesday, October 21, 2015


What is Sci-Fi (Syfy) and Why Do I Care?

Or, Syfy: The Sharknado Channel


Fans are undeniably angry that the Syfy Network recently canceled not just one, but two shows: Dominion and Defiance. This has generated some very interesting conversations. I’m going to discuss one of them in this post:  What is Sci-Fi (Syfy)?



So, what is this science fiction stuff? This question has vexed readers and watchers of TV for decades, perhaps even longer. I went to that bastion of human knowledge: Wikipedia. I went primarily because I felt I knew what it was, but I was also interested to learn the most prevalent definition. Here are a bunch by people in the field: http://bit.ly/1KpD6We. Interesting.

But, Miriam-Webster’s dictionary definition of science fiction is: “fiction dealing principally with the impact of actual or imagined science on society or individuals or having a scientific factor as an essential orienting component.”

Why do we care? I care because it impacts the concept of what is appropriate programming on the Sci-Fi Channel, which morphed into the Syfy Channel.  For quite a while, people have blurred "true" science fiction with fantasy, set in a future or alternate reality.  Right now, people are angry because they feel that Syfy is not sticking with science fiction programming, at the expense of programming which is TRULY “real science fiction.”  

The same fandoms tend to appreciate pure science fiction and at least some fantasy.  Syfy fans consider both Dominion and Defiance to be science fiction.  Really, sticking strictly to Miriam’s definition, Dominion is fantasy and Defiance is a combination of fantasy and science fiction. But, even at its inception, Syfy really never intended to be pure science fiction. It has always shown a blend of true science fiction, fantasy and horror (it is perhaps a little debatable if wrestling quite fits in there.)

I had a twitter discussion with a pal about the hate we love to heap on Sharknado.  Syfy continues to buy and show Sharknado, because (i) people watch it and (ii) it generates mounds of revenue for Syfy.  And, frankly, if you are a fan of wretched B movies – and there are tons and tons of those fans – then it appeals. I pointed out that I don’t like to call shows crappy, choosing instead to just not watch them – I don’t torch them (generally) in public. This is the case because what I like, others might not, and vice versa.  I don’t want to ruin entertainment for anyone else and I really don’t want them to ruin it for me. 
There is variety on TV because it would be boring if all programming was the same. Plus, if Syfy makes a bucketload of money off of Sharknado, THAT’S GOOD NEWS, because it should allow them to produce less profitable niche shows which improve the brand name.

In the summer of 2014, when there was concern that only one show would be renewed (between Defiance and Dominion) I tried to convey the concept that if the network was successful, we ALL would win, because the network could make and show more of what we like, so we didn’t need to choose if BOTH did well.
Vaun Wilmott said that he believed in the Big Tent concept. There is room for more than one good show. And, I totally agree. 



I think that the issue is not really WHAT Syfy shows, but HOW Syfy supports what it shows. We should be angry about that and not about a few cheesy movies or shows that we don’t like. Long Live Sharknado.

No comments:

Post a Comment